Thursday, February 16, 2006

A well-meaning friend of my husbands invited us to church. The poor guy barely had the question out before I pumelted him with a load of crazy questions. He laughed when I said I would do a background check on the pastor and get back to him. (He thought I was kidding?)
Seriously, I don't mean to be so cynical. I take that back. Yes I do. I'm not being cynical about him though. I know what it takes to ask someone to go to church with you, or at least what it took for me.
He gave me the church website and I went for a lookie-loo. It seems nice, too nice. My grandma always told me that if something looks too good to be true it probably is. This church seems to be packaged so perfectly. The website says all the right things and doesn't sway too far in one direction or the other. They have a healthy helping of activities and a group list that any groupie would drool over. They even have a karate class which seems to fit perfectly with my recent search for a martial arts program for Erin.
What I want to know is, how does a real person like me whose life has highs and lows, rights and wrongs fit in to such a perfect church? Why don't they write the real stuff on their web page? Why do they lure you in only to find out that they are human after all with the same strugles and pitfalls that I face? I have nothing against being human. I've been one all my life. I just want a church flier that at least alludes to the fact that real people go there. Even if it was something as small as a misspelled word. Anything! I don't care about programs and groups. I want open and honest; real and true.

5 comments:

aola said...

Church is big business so they advertise like big business... but if you are looking for social activities it might be worth looking into. I think going with the knowledge you have (you know that they are flawed just like the rest of us)would keep you from being disappointed in them.
I still have thoughts of going for social reasons, just have a hard time with all the religious crap.

Sandra said...

Yeah, it could be a good thing I think. Like you, I'm not sure I can get past the religious crap. David is interested in seeing what it's all about. We might go just to check things out. It's a huge church though with thousands of members and that makes me leery.

Kristen said...

Huge church = not good in the thoughts of Kristen.

:)

aola said...

If you were looking for true fellowship and/or a true spiritual experience I would tell you to run like hell away from mega church but hey for free martial arts classes...what would it hurt?

Sandra said...

LOl Aola! They aren't free. They are $50 bucks or something. I think we may go just to be nice to the guy who invited us. He seems like a really sweet guy with a good heart. So it would be cool to foster that relationship.