Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I'm so thankful to Becky for posting this article about introverts on her blog. I'm probably 90% introverted. I've always thought there was something wrong with me because I dread going to social events or places where I know there will be a large crowd. I'm usually the last to arrive and the first to leave. My motto is always "get in and get out as fast as possible". I've always labeled my aversion to these events as "social anxiety disorder", but that term never seemed to fit because I don't freak out or anything, I just don't like going. I'd rather be home with a few friends or by myself. I have canceled so many engagements just because I'd rather not go to that place and be there with all those people and have to repeat my name a gazillion times and explain how I'm there because I know this person who knows this person. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Anyway, I'm just glad I read the article and glad that I'm not just anti-social, and I don't have a disorder. I'm just me.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I went through a period of time where I really think I did have social anxiety, but now I'm just an introvert--and happy with myself. :) Funny how all of us introverts found each other on the internet and started Skinny. LOL Although I think my mom is a thoughtful extrovert...and Erica, she's very outgoing and vivacious, but totally a thinker. I don't know how she would classify herself.

E. Michelle said...

Well, I thought I heard my name! okay, I think it is only fair to pick one, though I have considerable evidence to make a case for both the intro/ extro labels.

I am an intro at heart though, I think.
I am a talker, but less vivacious than I used to be, and kind of like my get togethers small and open-hearted. I have begun to loathe small-talk to the point I am forgetting how to do it. But I stilldefnitely need people, but I need time to myself probably more.
so introverted I am.

R said...

Lots of people are split like Erica. I go through periods when I really need people, and I talk a lot, a real lot.

Sandra said...

Yeah, maybe we all go through phases. I find that most of the time I just like to be alone. Of course, that could be because I have a ten-year-old talkin my ear off most of the time.