Sunday, January 28, 2007

I went to an OA meeting, brunch, and shopping with my friend Nicky today. Sometimes I forget how important it is for me to spend time with her. She helps me to see things in different ways rather than just viewing them through my little tunnel. Some comments that were made during the OA meeting reminded me of some of the conversations we have here in blogdom about living in a patriarchal society. All of the women were at least twenty years older than me. Their perception of life as a woman is colored by the decades they grew up in. I explained to Nicky that I simply didn't have those same feelings. I never looked at any situation and thought I might not be able to handle/do it because I am a woman. I have thought I might fail in many situations for a variety of other reasons, but never because of my gender. Nicky smiled when I said this because her generation struggled through bra burning and more to ensure that generations of women after them would never be defined only by their gender.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hmmm. So what's an OA meeting like? Ironically, I visited their website yesterday (before knowing you had attended). Isn't that odd?