Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Taylor has RSV. I don't know too much about it, but I know that any time an infant is sick it's no fun for anyone. Laurie is sick herself with an infection in both breasts and Abbey just barely got better. I wish I lived closer so I could help out. I know Laurie must be so overwhelmed.
After reading the posts by Kristen and Aola, I'm enjoying a new approach to the diet/exercise regimen. I'm trying very hard to listen closely to my body and know when it is hungry and when it is not and focusing on what exercise does for my heart and muscles rather than my waist. This listening to my body rather than telling it what it should do is an entirely new idea. Today I ate a grilled cheese sandwich for the first time in a very long time and laughed as I thought about how long it's been since I haven't obsessed about what I was or was not eating and if I was or wasn't working out. Even at the times when I wasn't watching what I ate, I was always thinking about it and beating myself up about it. I'm anxious to see what will happen if I take that pressure off of myself and really listen to what my body needs.
I just finished reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter". It was well written, but completely frustrating to me. I wanted to fix things for the charicters or at least tell them how to fix it for themselves.

5 comments:

aola said...

We are funny creatures, aren't we?

I've been doing the same thing about trying to listen.. I'll walk in the kitchen and think "I can eat that if I really want it" and then try to listen, most of the time I decide that I'm not really hungry and don't really want it.... but I could if I wanted to :) Before it was no,no,no you can't eat that and then wound up eating it anyway.

I'm trying to do what Kristen called nuetralizing food and not making it ALL important in my life.

We'll see what happens.

And... I was thinking about you this morning. Thinking "geez she must be really strong to be able to lift 75 pounds. That's as much as Levi does!!" WoW You Are a SUPERWOMAN!!!!!

R said...

I had problems with The Memory Keeper's Daughter, too. I'm still struggling with finding the characters believable, especially the wife.

Kristen said...

First off, I am hungry. :) I'm gonna go eat something in a second.

I've been wanting to read that book; maybe I will now so I can be part of the frustration. ha-ha

Glad you are taking this health journey along with me, Sandra.

Sandra said...

Becky, I agree. I think part of my frustration came from not understanding the wife's character. I also didn't think the son was very well devolved.
A, you really think 75lbs is a lot? I just moved up to that amount a few weeks ago. David has to spot me my last few lifts for sure!
Kristen, I'm glad you sparked all of this conversation about intuitive eating. I think Becky might have said something about it before too! I ordered "The Diet Survivor's Handbook" and received it today. I've only read the first few chapters and they've been great!

Anonymous said...

i am usually too distracted to think about what i am really eating and why. but i might try this too, the intuitive eating thing.
oh, and Sandra, thanks for you kind comment!