Monday, August 20, 2007

Feeling guilty

I was harsh with a group of elderly women today. They banged on my door several times because they couldn't get in the gate to a storage space where a friend was waiting. It's difficult for me to draw a line between work and home because we live here. Several times a week customers knock on our door during non-business hours expecting me to jump into action. Most of the time I help out with a warning to the customer to never knock on my door in a non-emergency situation and some grumbling. Today the women were so pushing that it sent me over the edge. I was harsh when I shouldn't have been.

5 comments:

aola said...

sounds to me like you had a good reason to be harsh...

Unknown said...

Older people often use the latitude that they are often given when it is not appropriate.

It's still rude, no matter if you are 14, 44, or 74.

I look at it as "You are old enough to know better"

Kristen said...

Agree with the above comments...and you will find a way to make it better, I'm sure.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

agree with kristen - we're all hash sometimes, and sometimes with good reason...

Sandra said...

Thank you all for the comments. I guess I was just feeling like I needed to be bigger than the situation, and give grace where it was easy to be harsh. I know I had a little bit of a reason to be harsh, but I'm not sure if having a reason always makes it right. I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself over the situation.