Friday, May 23, 2008

Hayden rocks and rolls in my belly. Each time I feel him it is as surprising as the first time, and it usually makes me giggle with delight. My doctors appointment yesterday went very well. He said everything from the ultrasound looks normal and my weight, which has gone up by seven pounds leaving me just a little under the weight I started with, is right on track. Even knowing that I need to gain weight for a healthy baby doesn't help the negative feelings I have towards weight gain. What a silly thing the diet/weight loss industry had done to my psyche.

Erin has been a handful these past few weeks. It's seems that the idea of soon being a teenager has sent her argumentative little self into overdrive. Even when we agree with her she disagrees with us. It's seriously frustrating. David tells me to stop arguing with her and to just make it cut and dry, but I have such a hard time with that. I want to see inside her brain so I can understand what the heck is going on in there to make her truly believe that she can disregard anything I tell her. I know there is no point in figuring out the why of it all. She doesn't even understand why she does it. Most of the time she comes back and apologizes within minutes of whatever argument we've just had. She's struggling with herself far more than I am struggling with her. It doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I'm going out to dinner tonight with friends and I'm really looking forward to it. This will be the first they've seen of the baby belly.
I work tomorrow and Sunday but am looking forward to having Monday off. I'll probably spend most of the day packing, but it will be nice to not be at work.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Have a great weekend, Sandra!

No words of advice on Erin, but boy, do I remember those years (and the constant apologizing). :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad your pregnancy is going well, and I understand completely about having the media constantly barrage us with 'too fat' messages. Anything to get us to spend more money.

Hormones are the hardest part of the teenage years I think. Well, and for the adult years and for me the Crone (!) years. It's like looking through a veil of liquid irritability at the world. There were / are days that when I'm in hormonal surges that I just wake up hating everyone and everything. I know it's just so much worse for teenagers because they are being told what to do, and also because they just don't have the maturity to deal with the surges yet.

Batten down the hatches........

Erin is so fortunate to have such a caring and intuitive mother.

aola said...

OH NO,NO, NO... you don't want to see inside her head....

it would be too scary for me!!

I just ignore most of it.