Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Five needle pokes and four hours later...

They decide I have gestational diabetes. (Insert long frustrated moan.) I've been eating so well and avoiding sugar for the most part. After talking to the nurse, it appears that out of the four tests, I failed one and didn't even fail that one by much. She said she has no doubt I'll be able to control it with diet and exercise. My first test which was the eight hour fast had a result of 86 which was well within the range of normal. I have to go pick up the results to find out which test was off and by how much. For others, this may seem like no big deal, but to me who worries about everything medical, it's huge. Now I wonder if the small piece of cheesecake I had the day before I found out the test results hurt Hayden. It's silly and ridiculous, I know, but there is just so much you don't know when your pregnant. I was feeling so good and proud of myself for only having gained five pounds since my very first doctors visit, and then this hits and I feel like I have failed.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

You haven't failed at all, friend. These tests are just indicators to help keep you and Hayden healthy--not to make you feel guilty for eating cheesecake. (If anyone deserves a piece of cake, it's a pregnant woman, am I right?) You can handle this, I know you can.

R said...

you have not failed Hayden or yourself. a multitude of things impact gestational diabetes. you are under a huge amount of stress with the move. walk, dream, rest. you can do this.

aola said...

I wouldn't worry about the test too much.

Where Levi works they insisted that all employees get an annual health screening... silly Levi had breakfast from McD's and a cup of coffee from Starbucks before the test when he was supposed to have fasted... reading the report you would have thought the kid was on his death bed.

Just keep doing what you are doing 'cause you are doing great!

Unknown said...

I think there is just a such thing as way too much medical intervention. You have not hurt Hayden with a piece of cheesecake! For crying out loud. Think of the generations and aeons of women who have lived on salt, sugar, grease, and had no prenatal vitamins. We managed to survive as a species. I understand infant mortality back then was much higher, but you get my meaning.

I'm not saying to not take care of yourself; in fact, quite the opposite. If you have GD, you should manage it. BUT please don't tear your hair out over everything that every nurse says to you.

Katt said...

You are doing a fine job Sandy, dont worry and dont feel like a failure. I am with A..just keep doing what your doing and it will be fine. So many things can affect your blood sugar levels. Did you know that stress can make it change? So just relax, your almost there. Your doing great.. and will be a great mom...
Hugs and Kisses
I love you
Mom

Emma said...

I have another fried due in August who was diagnosed with GD and then they did another test and decided she wasn't. Tests can be kind of screwy sometimes. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep up the good work. It will all be worth it!