Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Behind Me


I'm so glad to have the surgery and all the worries and fears I had regarding it behind me. I still have some recovering to do, but I'm very surprised at how easy the recovery is compared to how difficult I thought it would be. I'm in a minimal amount of pain that is only intensified with the occasional coughing fit and sneeze. The most difficult part is not being able to do anything. I can't lift more than 5lbs, raise both hands over my head, put both hands behind my back, or push or pull anything more than 5 lbs. Those are pretty tough restrictions when you think about daily living and even more tough when you include caring for a baby. It's so difficult not to be able to pick up and comfort Hayden when he cries. I have to depend on my mom, David, or Erin to pick him up and give him to me and they can only give him to me if he's in the mood to be relatively still which he most often is not. So I settle for giving him lots of kisses and holding him while I feed him his bottle. Sometimes I even get to hold him once he's gone to sleep. The next four and a half weeks are going to be very hard for me when it comes to Hayden. I miss holding and cuddling him.
My mom, David, and Erin are all pitching in to make life a little easier. I can't do the laundry so Erin has been lugging the loads up and down the stairs and my mom and I fold them. David and My mom have been taking care of almost everything else.

Pennsylvania is beautiful this time of year. It rains a lot, but the rain brings out the most beautiful shades of green. The days are warming up and the nights are cold, my favorite combination. I have visions of hot dog roasts and conversations by campfire. Life seems full of possibility and peace right now. I have a daughter who is diving into teenage hood, a son growing teeth, and a husband who adores me. Things feel pretty sweet right now in spite ( or maybe because ) of the seven inch incision on my chest.

5 comments:

McMom said...

I am so happy that you are doing so well!! I know it is hard, but remember to take it easy and heal fully! It will be worth it in the end when you are able to run and chase your growing boy!!
HUGS!

Kristen said...

It sounds like you have a good support team. I'm so glad the surgery went well and life is going so good. Cuddle your boy as much as you can--it's healing to you both, I think.

aola said...

I love the way you see life.

Denise said...

Life is a wonderful adventure.... It's ups and down all take us to great adventures. Who know why some thing happen... I do not ! BUT the sweet smell of your rainy days and the cool breeze as the sun goes down makes all things worth it.... Rest and recover...... 4 weeks will go by in a hurry....... then live!

E. Michelle said...

beautifully written, sandra.