Sunday, August 21, 2005

Captivating

Yesterday was a pretty sucky day for me. I've been in a funk for a few days now. I miss people. I miss the close connections I have with people. The connections are there, but the people are so far away. It makes it hard. I can usually shut the longing up inside of me for a while, but it inevitably comes back and I end up in a funk.
So, last night I was out shopping for school clothes for the fabulous miss Erin, and came across a book by John & Stasi Eldridge, "Captivating; Unveiling The Mystery of a Woman's Soul" (Yes, it has a beautiful cover.) I had seen the book before but with a price tag of $27, I just didn't have the extra money at the time to pick it up. It was much cheaper at this store, so I picked it up.
I am only on the third chapter, but I can't begin tell you how beautiful this book is. I was going to try to insert some great quote from the book here, but I can't pick one! Starting on something would just lead to something else and before you know it I would have written the entire book.
Let me just write part of what is on the back cover.
"Every woman was once a little girl. And every little girl holds in her heart her most precious dreams. She longs to be swept up into a romance, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, to be the Beauty of the story. Those desires are far more than child's play. They are the secret to the feminine heart."

Okay so as I'm writing this, I have visions of my friend Gina giving me some speech about how it's only reasonable that girls want that because it's what they are taught as they grow up. Is that really the reason? If so, why does it resonate to the core of my being? Why does something in my heart leap at the thought of being Cora in "The Last of The Mohicans"? What makes it so wrong to want to play that role? The heroines in all our stories are strong beautiful women. They are not sissies. They take chances. If men are all about saving and being the hero then doesn't it make since that they need a counter part? Does that make us lesser? No! It completes the circle. We play a necessary role in the story. God did not create another man to keep Adam company. He created a beautifully unique woman with a heart that mirrored God's in a way that Adams could not.
I feel myself going on a little tangent here, so I will stop. If you haven't read the book, I recommend it even though I'm not finished with it. If I had the money I'd send all my girlfriends a copy. :)

3 comments:

R said...

I started to have something intellectual to say, but I have nothing.

Sandra said...

LOL! I'm sure that I just said it all for you in the post. HA HA HA!

aola said...

I have always loved being a woman. I like being married, I like the role I play as a woman and it sure the hell isn't the lesser or weaker part it is just the feminine part.

great post! I'll have to put the book on my (very long) wish list.