Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I started off the day reading this post at RLP and from there read the various articles listed. By the end I was feeling less than humane for my recent comment at Seriously Kristen. In my life there is always a logical side to things and an emotional side. These two rarely join together to form a reasonable solution. Rather, I'm usually on one side or the other and often times I switch between the to depending on which is giving the stronger pull. While reading the horror stories of those traversing such inhabitable terrain to come to this country, I can't help but want to open the flood gates and let them all in. My rational mind tells me that such a utopian idea would never work, but still I think there should be some way for a family, desperate to find a better life, to do so without the chance of dying in the desert. I was relieved when I read this proposal for Guest Worker Permits It seems to provide a way for those who are willing to come to this country and work for a better life to do so as well as offering them citizenship if they desire it. From the media standpoint, I have only heard the discussion of making illegal entry into the country a felony. While it does propose that, the benefits it offers to immigrants seem reasonable and fair. It offers them much more protection than the current laws provide and protects all American workers by forcing companies to give fair wages to everyone. It seems to me like a fair deal all around. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

aola said...

I have purposely not thought about this issue much because 1. I don't really have a vested interest in it other than just being American.
2. for the reasons you stated.. there are always two sides to every story. I'm sure this is a very emotional issue for those involved (on both sides). and 3. my opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.

Kristen said...

I'm still mulling. I have compassion for both sides though...that's all I'll say for now.