Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I'm reading "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh. (Sorry Mom) I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm really loving it so far. It resonates with my spirit and I love anything that can do that.
It's so easy in this fast pace living to get away from ourselves and to not live in the moment. It feels good to have a reminder to slow down and enjoy now. In the second chapter Thich Nhat Hanh talks about breathing being the first lesson. Breath in slowly being mindful of the breath and breath out with a smile. How easy is that? And it's so powerful as far as centering yourself and bringing your head out of the future or the past and into the present.


I'm only typing the following because I know A will get a kick out of it. I just had to stop in the middle of typing to save David from ants! Remember when we stayed in the cabin and he freaked about the bugs. Yep, he's a city boy!

6 comments:

Denise said...

We need always to guard our hearts and minds.......... be careful what you feed your spirit...... We are able only to fight the good fight with the knowledge of Truth that comes from the Word of God...
Guard your heart......... it it the place where Jesus dwells...

Elaine said...

I just read Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life. Practicing to stay very present in the moment has really changed how I live and how I experience the day. But it's also really hard...but that's where the gentleness comes in. Practicing mindfulness has also positively affected my spirituality and relationship with God as well...especially when it comes to worrying about the future, mindfulness reminds me that God has given me all I need for this moment and that I can trust Him to do the same in the next moment, and the next, and the next...

aola said...

I have heard only good things about that book, I need to put it on my list.

Yeah, David is such a weenie when it comes to bugs (he freaked because there were moths in the cabin). funny, funny guy!

He'd never make it in Oklahoma.

Kristen said...

Sounds like a good book.

Unknown said...

I read a while back about some of the core beliefs of Buddhism, and I think they are very in line with Christianity.

Things that make sense will always make sense.

One of my favorites is this

Buddha :Attachment brings pain. Do not become attached to things and stuff.

Jesus: Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and rust corrupts, and thieves break through and steal.

Katt said...

I think there are many good opions and thoughts from alot of people. If we are true to ourselves and strife always to find the truth, and seek God in our lives always, it will bring us where we need to be. Descernment is important, so that we know what we need to hold onto and what we need to trash.
None of us have all the answers. Salvation and being a follower of Christ is a life long journey, I dont believe that we will stop learning even after we reach heaven. But thats just me.
Sandy..dont be sorry...all I have ever asked is that you be careful and let your heart be led by the Lord. Love Ya!