Thursday, December 06, 2007

Like a Virgin

Again this Advent I am reading "Watch For the Light". Today's reading was "To Be Virgin" by Loretta Ross-Gotta.
The intensity and strain that many of us bring to Christmas must suggest to some onlookers that, on the whole, Christians do not seem to have gotten the point of it. Probably few of us have the faith or the nerve to tamper with the hallowed Christmas traditions on a large scale, or with our other holiday celebrations. But a small experiment might prove interesting. What if, instead of doing something, we were to be something special! Be a womb. Be a dwelling for God. Be surprised.
I identify with this, the last paragraph, not because I have been able to be a womb and be satisfied with just the being, but because I have been guilty of the doing. I mistakenly assume that without the tree and gifts, carols and lights, and even the reading of this Advent book, Christmas will have no meaning. I search for meaning in what I can bring to Christmas forgetting that Christmas is about what God brought to us. My prayer this Advent season is that I will make room for that gift and that I will let that be enough.

2 comments:

Denise said...

That is a good goal for us all to set this year....... Christmas for us is slowing down a lot...... and I like that...

Have a very Merry..........

ad

Katt said...

It is all about him, if we think about it, all else pales in him. We quarrel and complain way to much, given what he gave up for us, what he suffered for us... really does anything else even come close? I think not. I love you and wish I could spend the holidays with you, but know that I am there with you always.
Love Ya