Wednesday, December 14, 2011

These Days

They are full, these days.  I'm learning more than I did in nursing school.  I care for 28 patients on a memory support unit.  My day is filled with med passes and paperwork but what I really want to do is sit with patients and talk with those who can remember about the photos hanging on their wall.  I lost my first patient.  I say that as if I had anything to do with it.  I saw the modeling climb from her feet to her head.  I watched her chest rise and fall furiously.  And I saw her lifeless body calm and serene, her hands neatly placed over her and her glasses lying on her chest.  It didn't feel like I thought it would. I wasn't overcome with grief or scared.  In a strange way it seemed procedural.  This is what happens to us all.  The lucky one's make it this far.  A long life, well lived.  I read in her obituary that she received a Bachelor of Fine Arts at the age of 70. 

In caring for these patients I'm constantly amazed by life and the twists and turns in can take.  I'm also inspired to make the most of this one chance. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I worked in nursing homes for 10+ years, and because of people's superstitions, became the person who sat with people when they were dying. It's easy to forget what that person was in their whole life and just see them as a dying person. I'm glad you got to read her Obituary. She sounded extraordinary!

I'm glad you're learning and loving your work.

aola said...

it takes a special kind of person to appreciate a moment like that... and that you are.

when Mother was in the nursing home I learned as much as I could about the people (especially the women) who were there at the same time. I talked to staff, I talked to family, some very interesting characters. One feisty little woman had gone to CA and worked in a navy shipyard during WWII.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Hi Sandra- Hopping over from your comment on my blog courtesy of Becky (LifeWithKaishon).

I long life, well lived. I don't know what God has in store for me but I desire to hear Him say Well done my good and faithful servant.

What a blessing for these people to have you by their side. And what a moment for you to witness, this passing into eternity.