Sunday, December 09, 2007

Tonight I'm remembering the Christmases of my childhood. Aunts and uncles, cousins and siblings gathered at my grandparents house to open presents, eat, and while the adults watched football, my sisters and I would head outside to explore the country always with grandpa's BB gun in hand. We would usually spend the night which required us to help grandma pull out all of the blankets and build a pallet on the living room floor. Before bed we would play games like Skipbo, Pick Up Sticks, and Bejeweled with grandma and grandpa. I will be missing that this year, as I miss it every year.

"The meaning of Advent and Christmas is thus the coming down of God's love. This love alone revolutionizes our lives. Only God's love, not the elevation of human souls, can effect a transformation of the world. Those who mourn the futility of their own efforts receive the comfort of the love of God. Those who are meekly obedient to his will are filled by the love of God, not as a prize to be won after death, but as redeemed life for this earth."
I recommend reading the entire essay which can be found here.
Taken from Yielding to God by Philip Britts as found in "Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas"

No comments: