Saturday, December 25, 2010

I'm missing the sweet sound of my grandparents voices this Christmas morning, and remembering the wonderful Christmas's I spent at their house as a child.  Grandpa was always so proud of his Christmas tree.  He'd lay underneath it with each of us and look up through the glowing branches.  We'd eat delicious food and play games like Skipbo, Uno, and Pick-up-Sticks.  In more recent years I was not able to spend Christmas with them, but I always called.  Grandpa always greeted me with a "Merry Christmas Sandy Dandy!  Did Santa leave coal in your stocking?"  He'd tell me about Christmas's when he was a kid.  His parents would decorate the tree on Christmas Eve and the kids weren't allowed to see it until after Mass.  So they walked them down the stairs with their eyes covered.  It was the tradition at that time for everyone to make candies and cookies and then neighbors would walk from house to house admiring each others tree and the villages they set up under neath them and have some cookies and candy.  It sounds like a wonderful tradition!  When I set up my village this year I thought about grandpa and grandma a lot.  I just keep thinking what amazing beautiful ships they are. 

"Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port."

2 comments:

aola said...

I'm glad you have beautiful memories of them to get you thru these hard days

Anonymous said...

He shared such wonderful memories. I could not look at my tree without thinking of them and home.
This was a difficult Christmas, but the one thing we can hold to...... the love they shared is still with us.
I love you so much.